Monday, August 29, 2011

The Heat is Gone; Back in the Shop

My workshop --a spare, second floor bedroom in a house without any air conditioning-- is usually too hot during the summer days for me. Also, I spend a lot of time gardening in my backyard, as well as various exterior projects around the house.

But the days and nights have been getting cooler, and this has allowed me to get back into the shop. I've gotten back to working on my English-style workbench. No pictures or videos, yet. I plan on making another video of the process of laying out and cutting the tenons for the leg mortises. I've also gotten to a couple of long overdue projects for my current workbench's top. Which brings me to.....

Most of the current English-style benches being built are constructed of construction lumber. This is a great application for that material. But I"m concerned me the 1 1/2" thick benchtop is just too thin. I've grown fond of my 4" thick laminated Southern Yellow Pine benchtop. And rather than re-invest in a benchtop, I'm going to reuse my 4" thick SYP benchtop for my English-style workbench. A tad unorthodox, but an acceptable novelty. Don't you think?

Thanks for being patient with the blog.

AMDG

No comments:

Post a Comment